Get a sick/fit note for work

Please note, you do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Requesting a fit note from your GP. 

If you require a fit note you  can either

  • Call us on 015242 61202 and speak to one of the reception team. They can pass all the details onto the GP. We may need to ask more information with regards to your ongoing problem, when was the onset, how long you think you will need a fit note for (start date and end date) and if you have already had a fit note, the date that this will run out.
  • Use the online consultation form to request your fit note. Please try to include as much information as possible. Reason for fit note, if you have previously had a fit note, when this run out. How long you think you will need the fit note for (start and end date)

please note that a fit note can be backdated once your old one has run out.